Friday, September 12, 2014

The Art of Greeting

Comment cava?
Nanga def?
No mbad-daa?
How's it going?

Greetings are an important part of language learning. This is particularly true for African languages. It's a process that goes well beyond a simple, "Hi, how are you?" A greeting in Pulaar can include everything from asking about one's mother to their cat. They are not just a courtesy, they are an integral part of relationships in this African culture.

In a western context, a nod of the head or a simple hello is sufficient when walking into a shop or office before getting down to business. However, to skip the pleasantries of a prolonged greeting in this African culture sets a negative tone for the remainder of your exchange. Aside from learning how to introduce yourself, greetings are one of the first areas African language professors cover, because in order to speak the language you first have to build a rapport with the people.

As I venture out into my neighborhood armed with my meager Pulaar vocabulary, I try to use what I've learned with anyone I can find. The Pulaar man on my corner who sells candy, phone credit, cookies, and a small variety of other daily necessities was my first target. When I greeted him in Pulaar, he excitedly jumped from his stool and dove into a flood of Pulaar phrases. It was all I could do to answer him in my catch all phrase, "jam tan" (just peace). He was more than satisfied with my response and assured me that I would be speaking Pulaar in no time.

I'm off to start learning more vocabulary to use in my greetings......what's Pulaar for kitchen sink?

No comments:

Post a Comment